Another post! This may be my shortest yet. I haven’t had too much going on, but I felt like writing. I’ve been doing a lot of writing lately, kind of strange, but I enjoy it. Maybe I’ll let you all in on some more differences that I’ve noticed, that seems to be popular. First what little I’ve been up to.
School is still not in full swing, I don’t start one of my tutes until Tuesday, and with that one I can’t go to, I’m really only in class about 10 hours a week. I’m not sure what all I’ve been doing to keep myself occupied! I still haven’t gotten used to everything, and it’s hard to focus and get myself to actually read everything I am supposed to. I don’t understand it either, the students here all tell me different things. They always ask if I’m keeping up with the reading and whether I’ve done my studying. Well thus far I haven’t done much, it doesn’t seem as though I need to. But then they also say you don’t have to do all that is technically assigned. I don’t get it. There is a ton of reading, though. They give you reading out of the book, then readings online, and in two of my classes they have an additional readings booklet. Crazy. So some weeks there are 100 or more pages to read for one class. The book is exactly what they have slides on in class, so I think that’s just like home where it’s more to help you and reinforce, you’re supposed to read it but it’s just for your own good. While maybe the other readings are more important. I’m not sure. It’s difficult because there aren’t any quizzes or anything, just the one big final at the end, and most of those are worth 70% of our grade. Then usually two “assessments” as well, either assignments, essays, or in one class I have a MC test before the final exam. Anyway, I’m still adjusting to the school aspect of things.
Everything else is becoming very comfortable to me though. There are times I still feel very much like an outsider simply because I am basically. At times it feels like all the Australians know each other already, even if they’ve only known each other for a day or something! I think that’s part of how they are though, just very friendly right away and just like that you’re mates with someone. Everyone is mates with everyone. Some people are like that back home, but I’m not one of them. It takes me a little longer. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve made some great friends already and am making more all the time, it’s just another way I’m different. I’m fine with the language now, every once in awhile there will be another word I haven’t heard of yet, but I’m getting the hang of it for the most part. I don’t have trouble understanding them at all unless they’re talking really fast, which a few do. I have the bus system and everything under control now and know my way around campus and town pretty well. I feel like I’ve adjusted very well and that’s great to finally feel that way for the most part.
Tonight was the Barton College (res complex I live in) Dinner. It was pretty good, better than the usual caff, but nothing as amazing as I expected. There was some sort of beef (none of the beef here is anything compared to Kansas beef!!) and chicken and penne pasta with a couple salads and rolls. They always have great rolls. We got two vouchers for wine or beer, so I had a glass of wine with dinner, it was really great with dessert! A big piece of rich chocolate cake and a glass of wine, how wonderful, it made me feel special! J They had places for us and it was totally random, not by unit or anything, so I got to meet a few more people which was cool. Our colors for Barton are red and blue, and they had decorations everywhere, with white table cloths and star confetti. So I felt like I was a Fourth of July party or something! Yeah USA! It was funny. I got a little dressed up, just jeans and a nice shirt with my heels, it felt good to get fancy for something, and I must say I did look pretty good!
Last night ended up being much better than expected. We threw a Frisbee around for awhile, it felt good to throw something for some reason. I wish I could play some darts or shoot some baskets! Maybe I’ll get someone to rent a bball for me and head over to the courts for a bit someday. You have to pay for the gym membership here and I didn’t feel like I’d get the my money’s worth, but you also have to pay to rent equipment if you’re not a member which sucks a little bit, but I can get other people to rent it out for me. Anyway, we played a few card games as well and just sat around chit chatting, it was a good time. I sort of felt like I was back home. Mom sent me a couple packs of Kool Aid in the mail, which I was very excited about., and we had already talked about it once this semester with some people. The Aussies didn’t know what it was. So I showed them all and they’re excited to try some! I got made fun of a little for liking it so much but whatever, it’s good! There are a couple guys in my unit who play guitar all the time, it’s kind of nice to hear some instrumental music around here, I really enjoy it. I need to try and find a symphony concert or a live jazz club or something to go to.
Let’s see, what else…Well, Tuesday Loretta and I had an adventure into town that was actually really good. I’m not sure why, but it was a great day, a nice refresher. We just went to do a bit of shopping and eat dinner. We didn’t want the caff’s burgers, bad beef experiences so far. On the bus ride home we got lucky, our tickets were only good til 7, but the bus didn’t come til 7:05 so we thought it would be fine, so we just showed the bus driver our ticket. He was a happy guy, and I honestly think my shirt saved us, I was wearing the one that says someone in Kansas loves me, he thought it was interesting. So he let us get on and not pay again. But when we got to be the only two left on the bus, he had a bit of a chat with us, telling us that he was generous and really next time we should just put it away and pay again. He said they were coming out with a new thing where we will all have a card and you just swipe it when you get on and off, so it won’t be so generous and it will make us pay, did we catch his drift? It was a little awkward, we were like, yeah, okay, we get it, sorry. Then we also did some homework together that night and planned our trips a little bit for the rest of the semester! That was fun. We didn’t do any definite planning or booking, just when we’re going to go where. So we plan on going to Sydney not this weekend, but next, for a four day weekend. Then we’ll go to Tasmania the end of April, and New Zealand once we’re done with school! I’m excited. The other weekends left we have a few day trips planned, and we still have a lot of exploring to do in Geelong, Melbourne and the little towns nearby here. There are some little wildlife parks, museums, and things of that nature around here we want to check out. It was exciting to think of where all we’ll be going! I’ve already done more traveling than I have in the past few years back home!! But I love it, that’s a huge reason I came here! And to learn about the country and culture, and I’m getting to do that as well. It’s so interesting, I love all the learning I’m getting done here. I felt super smart in my International Econ class the other day. I’m not sure why, but it seemed so easy, people were confused by things and I knew exactly what was going on! It really doesn’t happen that often. The teacher was being really confusing about things, making it much more confusing than it ought to have been, but I just stopped listening to her and looking at what she was trying to explain and got it fine. We had a few questions at the end of class and the last one was ultra hard for a lot of people, but I knew the answer right away and understand the explanation behind it perfectly. I felt so good about myself! So that was nice.
Hmm…I think that’s about it. Nothing too exciting. Still a long enough one though, eh. I love this Tom kid playing guitar right now!! He’s good and playing some great songs, including REM songs, nice. I think tonight will be a laid back chill night. I hate having 9am class on Fridays. I might go check out the botanical gardens in Geelong this weekend, that’s exciting to me. I’ll update soon I’m sure, it keeps me busy, and makes me feel somewhat productive. Hope you all continue to be well. PLEASE, you should really leave comments on here, otherwise how will I know anyone ever reads these long boring stories! Give yourselves a hug from me.
And I’ll start giving some advice, or quotes or something, so here’s two for today, very simple:
- “No matter what may be the test, God will take care of you.” C.D. Martin
AND
- “Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart.” Dag Hammarskjold
Love, Alissa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Cheeky, if you say it's gonna be a short one, please make it a short one, cause I'm not supposed to be reading this at work, but I do anyway cause it's my baby sister and because it's supposed to be short. 10 minutes later, I can now get back to work.
10 minutes of reading! That's like a million words! I'm just kidding! Please keep writing as much as you do. I love hearing about what's going on, even if it isn't much. I mean, you have waaaaaay more going on then I do. So please keep doing your thing. Miss you!
I'm reading your blog and love all the updates! I read it at work like Mark when I'm not supposed to.
I'm so jealous that you get to go to New Zealand...well and anywhere in australia for that matter. I wish I could send over some of my dad's beef (he buys it by the cow) but it may give you a worse beef experience than you've already had since it wouldn't be frozen when in got there and I wouldn't want that!
Your K-State bball team is doing well...K-State-KU showdown #3 for the year is tomorrow...
Yesterday i used you as an example in 6th grade science, where we were discussing seasons. I love reading all about your adventures.
Mary Anne
Post a Comment